Monday, August 31, 2009

Dead Skin




August 29
Dead skin…at the bottom of the saguaro…going up camelback – this deck is good – goes hand down with my training schedule – which is x-training. What may be inviting and more of a momentum booster is the ‘drive’ to be here…put myself here –despite 113 degree temperature! Like I stated before, I would not put myself in a position where I knew the outcome would be disastrous…learning and growing up on the rez has taught me a few things on terrains…the last time I felt fear was jumping in the Aegean sea off the coast of Sifnos, Greece. Talk about helpless…June 13, 2000 summer Castro,Sifnos Greece. A few of us went down to the coastline to swim. It was very rocky and steep but we all manage to get there safely..it was exciting and a little intimidating. I had never jumped off the side of a cliff into saltwater before so my mind and body grew intense. Brett was the first to dive in…it looked simple, at least that was the way he made it look…I was up! My anticipation grew as well as my anxiety. Finally I dove in! once in…I surfaced well yet the waves were so intense and the water felt like a heavy medium…it was soooo different than a calm water or pool. The waves kept me bobbing up and down …a cycle keep me from getting to the rock edge where Brett was…I tried and tried to swim to his position..they toldme to relax…I saw my fear in my Brett’s eyes…I was like ‘oh shit’...finally I was able to float towards the rock edge…yet I was pull away from the rhythm of the waves…I got Brett’s reach yet now I was being pounded against the rocks…my body was so tired and muscles were done…my breath was probably recording about 180 bpm!!...finally the tall UA wildcat pulled me out…I lay there on the rocks thinking about what just happen…my body and leg covered in blood cause of all the abrasions and cuts…that was an intense moment...when up here...i think about those benchmarks...and how i will not place myself in again...therefore i know my threshold...which is pretty unique - yet rambunctiously foolish...boys will be boys -
btw...while coming down...i placed my foot on the rock...then all of a sudden i saw large chuckwalla...it scared the S*** out of me...made me fall and throw my bottle...then i came back asking if i can take its picture...was cool! chuckwalla and i one...rb

No comments:

Post a Comment