Friday, August 7, 2015

outsiders edge...

Outsiders Edge…
I remember the days when Richie and I traveled from Chinle  to Tucson…we were just young Chinle boys heading to the big city away from the rez…ready to start adventures at UA (in fact ready to start that next chapter).  Those moments were quite memorable; we talked about the future, friends, and whether he should speed up with a new car; (when you have a new car, both our dad’s shared a new car needs to be broken in before hitting faster speeds)…Richie understood this well – and I too,  yet I was more like the one wanting to go faster…the road from Show Low to Globe was slow …although it was scenic I wanted to fill the day with more… My thoughts on family lingered…my thoughts on choices lingered…after all, the previous summer I was at camp pendelton hiking up old smokie preparing for my after high school evolution.  I was thinking about my sister Trish at NAU, thinking about my grandparents…was thinking about Brian and his next steps as a cross country runner…
Richie’s car was not only our freedom, it represented how far we’ve come; how the work we did at Chinle High School, Chinle Junior High, and Chinle Elementary, and Chinle Primary resulted in us moving forward.   We’ve been dug in since the middle 70s…heading down that winding path pass mammoth.

My first driving experience….About 1979, on a road from Kayenta to Many Farms, I was traveling with my mom and sister, we spent the day in Kaibeto at grandpas…my mom was so tired, she ask me to drive! Ha…so there I was driving my mom and sister Trish on the dirt road.  At the time, the road between Chilchinbito and Many Farms was dirt graded road…I was 9 driving under the stars while they slept…that’s funny to think about…fast forward to 1981 (year Too Fast For Love was released), I was quite the driver…I would drive my grandmother on my dad’s side from her house to the cornfield.   I remember playing dad’s 8tracks Don Williams driving pretending to be big shot…dreaming of one day driving main street Chinle…haha…the road from Gram’s to cornfield at the base of the mountain was about one mile….i remember cause the song would end…

No comments:

Post a Comment