Monday, December 27, 2010

christmas

December 25 Christmas day at my grandmother’s in Tselani-cottonwood, middle of the Navajo rez. After dinner with family at grandmother’s house (carm went to chinle-many farms to see her family): I went on a hike to standing rock with grizo, dad’s dog – I was looking forward to hiking very much – even though my legs were quite done (after my 20 miler with team chances at tempe lake Friday morning). Standing rock is about 3 miles from the house…(the end of the grazing line..now that’s a bit lot..my hood - hehe…:) ; I remember this place very much…memory is good; I walked towards a place we called the ‘rock house’, which is half way to standing rock –my cousins and I use to play here when we were young ones; it made me smile thinking of the times spent on this rock playing war…we act like marine sharpshooters with our pellet rifles…I just smiled holding my springfield… sometimes I wonder how it would be if they were still with us…I think about how we would continue to laugh and help each other out…grizo’s panting is loud! he is good company… he wonders around like a little kid...the place here is neat-o…the ‘layers’ of strata is outstanding and healing - i know my bud Karl would love this..…being out here breaks down all barriers – I see signs! Saw rabbit, birds, raccoon, sheep, coyote, cattle, and horse tracks! Like I told Valley Forward..It’s appropriate to leave good tracks! Came across two horses drinking water at the well - my old great-grandfather was named grayhorse..he was good person who ran with the old ones during a time of 'hardship' …my aunt said this well was the water source for many relatives + families. It’s still in use yet more for livestock…she told of the days when they had to walk here with packs and load up on water and carry back to the house – now that’s work! Now I am deep in our backyard...walking above the wash cause I didn’t want to get pounce by a maii soh – I saw sheep carcass here and there…earlier I felt vulnerable walking down in the wash…therefore decided to get topside…standing rock is quite the feature – quite the marker to the edge. The low rays reveals brilliant textures and shadows…these are little secrets of a place I call home…the 'sound of quiet is a normal sound' native foods galore! My aunt’s food was very good! We had a special blend of corn soup which is slow cooked-corn harvested from the big field; filled with sheep meat from my uncle’s herd..the chili was grown in the backyard as the peaches, apples, squash,etc…talk about ‘grow your own’ – sustainability! …

No comments:

Post a Comment