Monday, June 1, 2009

May 30 - Sheep Stomach; Salem Cigarettes, Playing War



Images from the weekend…I spent time on Saturday retracing my tracks where I used to run around as a young dine’ boy along with my cousins…this is my paternal grandmother’s place in Tselani-Cottonwood Central Navajo Nation…she raised us since we were young- Education comes to us no matter…or sometimes we indulged in ‘ways of the force‘
thoughts of summer 1983 -
I walked around thinking the times we make ‘weapons’ using sticks and cactus –throwing them at each other…or when we chase each other with BB guns ‘playing war’; and more rambunctious acts like stealing my uncle Salems from his house -then we run down the hill to smoke them, acting like big shots! Otherwise we would have to smoke dry juniper bark wrapped in brown paper bag – haha…and we were just fascinated with gasoline…pyro explorations –yah! We enjoyed burning stuff…
…so gradually we move up from mischievous rituals to more adult teenage rituals (is it different?) – BBs turned into M1A1 –gotta love those turkey-shoot contest and hunting trips with dad and war uncles, racing trucks in the back roads, driving grandma to Gallup New Mexico at 12 with no license or throwing recently butchered sheep stomach on each other’s head or better yet other teenagers who would visit the family during the large enemy-way ceremonies…yeah those were times…
We only have one childhood…I sure had an eventful one -

image of richard jr and uncle wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment